* Login   * Register

Last visit was:
It is currently September 21st, 2018, 2:36 am

sma003
 Post subject: vector - Lexie
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 12:41 pm 
Abstract Pro
Abstract Pro

i have two versions of her; one with the layers untouched, and one with the layers... touched. anywho, take a gander, definately drop some much-needed C&C, and hope that i didn't destroy the cool artform known as vector.

Original

Xeor
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 2:33 pm 
Abstract Master
Abstract Master

No you haven't ruined the fine art they call ' vector '.
It looks pretty nice to me, keep in mind I'm not a vector artist. For the real advice you should ask Contour or Cone, probarly the best vector artist around here.
Twin Zero is also a very good vector artist but haven't seen him for a while around AI.

Anyway, I'm liking the colors. Details are nicely done.
Some things you maybe should improve is the hair, at the left side where the hair reaches the shoulders those lines aren't really very sharp, they look pretty rounded to me. You should mess a little bit around that little piece of hair and I would like to see some more detail under the chin. The left side of the hair is nice with details, but the right side is almost totally black.

I'm hoping this helps you a little bit.

sma003
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 4:10 pm 
Abstract Pro
Abstract Pro

^^^ hey, just because you're not a vector artist doesn't mean that you can't have an opinion, or some pointers. thanks for the tips dude. for some odd reason, hair and i don't work out well. that right side was kind of a bitch because i couldn't get the colors nor the blend to look good enough. oh well, gotta find another piece to work on this. again, thanks.

verbal
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 10:08 pm 
Abstract Guru
Abstract Guru

sweet as bro.. maybe blend the background more through the hair or perhaps shade the edge of the hair with the colour from the background - just a thought

sma003
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 11:21 pm 
Abstract Pro
Abstract Pro

for some odd reason, i'm really digging the first version of this. at first i wasn't, but the more i look at it, it looks a lot better than the blended one. i even tweaked the numbers on the blended one, and i'm still digging the untouched version

verbal
thanks man.

Contour
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2006, 8:36 am 
Abstract Guru
Abstract Guru

your main problem was your source, even on the photo its hard to tell that the left side is part of the shoulder and her left hand and because of that the left hand side doesnt look right

the second version is alot nicer for me, and with complex peices like this hair will always be a bitch unless you have a high res photo with good lighting.
I cant really say much because it looks like you work differently to me because when im looking at a photo to work from i look at each shade as a shape with sharp points and edges and not a shade with lots of curves and jagged edges. its like breaking up a jigsaw puzzle for me.
I hope that made sence

sma003
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2006, 7:33 pm 
Abstract Pro
Abstract Pro

i hear ya. for me, i see it like a topographic map (if that makes sense); each layer gets its own color and whatever. for me, i think it's harder to work with few colors on a piece than many colors. i think the more layers and colors i use makes the picture feel more whole (not saying that a two-tone vector piece isn't whole). i dunno... maybe it's because Paintshop Pro has warped my mind slightly