* Login   * Register

Last visit was:
It is currently November 18th, 2018, 4:12 am

sma003
 Post subject: i know this doesn't belong here
PostPosted: January 8th, 2007, 3:34 pm 
Abstract Pro
Abstract Pro

i need help with something. i'm starting to get into the realm of 3D arts (i.e. Cinema 4d, 3DS Max, Maya, etc.), and i'm wanting to find tuts on how to blend them with digital film (i.e. CGI). the only tuts i ever find are for making 3D models, and that's it. i'm primarily using C4D and a little 3DS Max (since their setup is basically identical), but as said before, i can't find tuts. does anyone either know some tuts, or even just know how to combine them both? does it matter what film editing program i use? does it matter what 3D program i use? why does peanut butter stick to the bridge of your mouth? these are questions i need answered, and as i said before, i know this doesn't belong here, but this is the best place for response that i could see. thanks guys.

brianf.

Jaggi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2007, 5:29 pm 
Abstract Guru
Abstract Guru

check out 3dbuzz.com it had a huge 3d forum and tons of tutorials including video ones, although there are tons of 3d tutorial sites out there if you do quick google.

sma003
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2007, 4:07 pm 
Abstract Pro
Abstract Pro

i'll check, but i find dick on how to actually do it. i'll check out 3dbuzz.com though. if anything, i can learn how not to suck at 3D renders. =)

verbal
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2007, 5:49 pm 
Abstract Guru
Abstract Guru

Cinema4D and After Effects are pretty much the way to go. Or so I've heard.

sma003
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2007, 1:57 am 
Abstract Pro
Abstract Pro

yeah, but how do you APPLY it? that's the issue. i know how to create (although crude) 3D images, but applying them to digital film is the problem. solve that, and then i have nothing more to ask.

Jaggi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2007, 7:53 am 
Abstract Guru
Abstract Guru

nah for real 3d gfx 3ds max and maya are the way to go, actually just remember both have great tutorials in the help files.

You sound like you want to CGI more, although 3d programs are great for doing in-depth effects after effects is good for novice effects. As for applying you'd create them separate and add them in a editing program like premiere. also its all in the filming alot of cinema stuff you see is done on blue screen so it can applied easily.

sma003
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2007, 4:07 pm 
Abstract Pro
Abstract Pro

i'll give you an example of what i'm trying to do. there's a quick clip that my and my roommates are going to shoot. it's a mock of "V for Vendetta" where V has the last battle. it's when he just got shot, and he pops out both knives, saying "My turn." we're doing it with DVD covers. i just want to know how to add those in. i've used AE enough to know that what i want to add into a film can't be done with AE, and that (and i'm hoping) a 3D program will solve that. i know there's gotta be a way, but i just don't know it. forgive me, but i suck horribly at trying to explain what i mean (my ex can verify that... hence her being an ex =P). i scrounged the Help files for 3DS Max and C4D, but can find nothing (surprisingly) about CGI effects. obviously, C4D marvels in itself for being great for 3D renders, effects, and whatnot, but you'd think that you could find something. argh! just frustrated. well, i'm trying everything, and hopefully i'll find it.

once the answer smacks me in the head, i'll post the little clip so you guys can see it. it's a mock of the slow-motion throw with the trails coming from the knives (where the camera pans from V to the baddy getting it). hopefully it turns out the way we want it (especially me).

Jaggi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2007, 7:07 pm 
Abstract Guru
Abstract Guru

a much better example would be where they stole the effect from which is basically matrix and bullets with the ripples behind it. You can slow it down pretty much in any program then you can create the ripples on a, i think the big guys animate on the back of a blue/green bg in the 3d apps. Then you can load that into after effects or premiere and use the chroma key to cut out the green/blue screen and line it up and it should work. Course i make it sound easy, you have to get the ripples the right size for the knifes, you have to get the timing right which is everything. Also slow time effects on fast moving things like knifes and bullets are done on special hundred grand cameras although i think all of the bullet effects are usually completely 3d rendered, good luck filming that, if you want to you can make the knife in a 3d app. it'll be easier to animate on that way using same effect of blue/green bg and then bring it into your live action video and line it up, trial and error really, won't be easy tho.

verbal
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2007, 8:12 pm 
Abstract Guru
Abstract Guru

use MoGraph in Cinema4D

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?s= ... wforum=117

http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/mod ... aph_e.html

AE and Cinema4D forum
http://www.mograph.net/board/

splittingadams
 Post subject: